Work Permit Information

  • The State of Michigan mandates that students ages 16 and 17 may only work up to 24 hours per week while enrolled in 30 hours of school classes.

    Minors in the State of Michigan who wish to work must first complete a work permit. This work permit must be completed by the employer, the worker, and then verified by the Superintendent’s designee. The work permit, once signed, is to be kept with the employer for as long as the minor works. The Churchill Counseling Office currently signs all work permits for Churchill students.

    The process is simple:

    • All students must FIRST have their employers complete the middle portion of the form, which includes a job description, location of the business, hours to work, and a signature
    • The minor must apply in person in order for a work permit to be issued. Since the students are the workers, the students must be present to be issued the work permit. No exception can be made to this State of Michigan requirement.

    Issued work permits must be on an employer’s premise before a minor can start to work.  Read more about Youth Employment in Michigan on the Michigan Department of Education website.